St Paul the Apostle Orthodox Church
24 Burke Road, Freehold, NJ 07728
732-780-3158
/ Weekly Message / Weekly Message 02-08-09: Sunday Of The Publican and Pharisee
Weekly Message 02-08-09: Sunday Of The Publican and Pharisee

Today we hear a Gospel about pride and humility - about judgment and self-condemnation. If we are to speak about pride, we may do so in the context of humility, for one stands completely opposed to the other. In today's Gospel, we hear the familiar story of the Publican (or tax collector), and the Pharisee. The Pharisee thinks himself to be something great. And anyone who thinks himself something great loses grace and is distanced from God, as it is said: “The Lord resists the proud; but he gives grace unto the lowly.” Pride, my brothers and sisters in Christ, is a powerful force, and it can also be a subtle one. None of us would ever come right out in our prayers and say “I thank thee that I am not like other men” because it just sounds so conceited! But, let us not be fooled into thinking we are not like the Pharisee! If we examine ourselves honestly, we will see that we fall into his same sin but perhaps in less obvious ways. Perhaps we have become so proud, that we do not even realize that our thoughts are saying to us the exact words that the Pharisee said out loud. And so, on this Sunday, as we begin to prepare for the coming Great Fast, it is an opportunity to examine ourselves. And, if we examine ourselves according to the words of the Lord in the Gospel, we will perceive within ourselves how much we fall short.

Jesus has many encounters with the Pharisees, and in the Christian world the term "Pharisee" has become synonymous with hypocrite. Throughout the upcoming Great Fast and Holy Week, we will hear a lot about the Pharisees in the Gospel readings. And if we take comfort in not seeing their ways in us, then know that we may be accountable for the very sins Christ illustrates in this parable. The Pharisee was a proud man. He went to the temple to pray, as did a tax collector. Standing up front, the Pharisee thanked God that he was not an adulterer, or extortioner, or otherwise sinful man such as the tax collector. He fasted. He tithed. He was a good man.  And this was one of the problems with the Pharisee’s prayer: he compared himself to others. And in doing so, he falls away from humility, which is reality. Humility is reality; it is seeing ourselves for who we are, and we are a people who can attribute nothing good to ourselves, for any good that we do comes from God.

The publican, on the other hand, was acknowledging the way things were! He knelt at the back of the temple, looked down, beating his chest, and simply exclaimed, "God, be merciful to me a sinner." In those days, tax collectors were known as dishonest, self-aggrandizing men who profited at the expense of the weak. So this man had good reason to seek mercy. He knew he was a sinner. In his repentance he compared himself to no one; he condemned no one. He was the opposite of the Pharisee. And in this parable Christ tells us that the humble, repentant tax collector was the one who was justified in God's eyes.

The humble ways of the Publican are ways that are not rewarded in a proud world. And St. Paul notes in today's Epistle that true faith and practice will be persecuted in this world. So the rewards of humility are not likely to be in this life. Saint Paul says that "evil men and imposters will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived." Surely one of the great deceptions is that of spiritual pride.

As we begin the journey toward Lent, let us ask God for help that we may at least labor a little bit. We have become so comfortable, again by this time in the year. We are given these Sundays preceding Lent as a wake-up call! Let us allow the message of this Gospel to humble us and let us remember, that with the Lenten struggle comes bodily discipline, and when the body is humbled the soul is also humbled. So, the Church gives us Great Lent so that we may continue toward the path of humility, toward the path of salvation. May we be granted the disposition of the publican always. Amen

Adapted from a sermon by Fr. Dimitri Perez

Free Search Engine Submission

©2014 St Paul The Apostle Orthodox Church. All rights reserved.